Lo-lee-ta

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.

I can't stop reading this! I'm doing a degree in English and have a pile of books which need to be read and I can't. put. it. down. The way Nabokov uses words is just mesmerising - every syllable is accounted for and every sentence is just the right balance of rich narrative and short bullet points.

That's the thing about books - there are certain ones which just draw you into their world, and putting them down to carry on studying is the last thing you would ever want to do!

What's the last book you read which you couldn't put down?

 
// connect:: bloglovin, goodreads,

5 comments:

Unpublished Life said...

Oh wow. I have only ever seen the film - the original and Jeremy Irons re-make ... I will definitely add this to my list. I love books that use words in an interesting way.

Happy reading!**

Sophie @ Love Live & Learn said...

I've been wanting to read this for so long, now you've made me want to buy it even more. I may ask for a copy for my birthday next month...

I feel your pain though, my reading list is longer than me!

Alice said...

I need to read this!

The last book I couldn't put down was The Hunger Games, addictive reading that.

Louise from 'The Book' said...

haha I'm waiting until the holidays to get stuck into The Hunger Games - i've yet to meet anyone who HASN'T been able to put it down once they've started!!

Hannah said...

I love Lolita so much, I couldn't put it down when I was reading it. I'm reading Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy at the moment and finding work a tiresome distraction.